Wednesday, July 11, 2012

A British Reading List


This post is long overdue.  As we approach six months since I created this blog, and I've reviewed a decent number of books, I realized that I never publicly stated my intent in so doing.  I elaborate here.

As I currently live in the UK, I decided shortly after my arrival last year to read predominantly British authors, and create a list of 'must-reads' during my time here.  My reasons were several:
1) Britain has produced a lot of good authors over the years; there would be no shortage of choice
2) I felt it would enhance my experience in the country
3) It never hurts to have a goal

Last July, I created a list of my "must-read" British works.  To do so, I relied on personal knowledge, friend's recommendations, and the plethora of "best of British literature" lists from around the web.  The list is not static- I've added and dropped a few here and there since the start, and reserve the right to continue to do so.  Right now the list stands at 124, and I suspect the final number will be in that area (I want something realizable, so it can't grow too much more).  In selecting, I tried to be well-rounded, and chose books from many genres: history, literature, Shakespeare, religion, humor, mystery, science, government, graphic novel, fiction, and thriller.  There are both famous works and little known selections.  I 'mixed it up' a bit.  With my list in hand (figuratively, of course- it's on the computer), I set off and began the 'challenge.'

One year in, I'm really enjoying the experience.  I've read 40% of the list, and my average rating is 93, so most of the works are well done (at least in my opinion).  Has it enhanced my experience here?  Yes, no question.  I tailor my reading to both current national interests and my travels- so, as examples, I read a book on the Titanic because 2012 is the 100th anniversary (and was thus in the news), and before I visited Sherwood forest several weeks ago, I read Robin Hood.  Reading before traveling has provided the most noticeable benefit- it heightens the anticipation and, on occasion, gives me ideas for places to visit I wouldn't have otherwise considered.  And, of course, the history selections give me a greater understanding of the country and how things came to be- helpful in many areas, not least of which making sense of the thousands of historical attractions on the island.

Another benefit has been encountering authors I wouldn't normally read.  Some on the list I've meant to read for years- the Sherlock Holmes stories, the Harry Potter novels, etc- but many I hadn't previously considered.  Sometimes I'm disappointed, but most times I'm thankful I chose to read someone new.  In the process, I've encountered several new favorite authors.

The other benefits I've experienced are true of reading in general: it can be informative, enlightening, exciting, and fulfilling.  Nothing against video games or other pursuits, but I really feel as though I'm accomplishing something worthwhile here.  I'm learning, exercising the brain, and enjoying myself.

The most noticeable downside of my quest is the tendency (true of many pursuits) for goals to become  chores.  Even though you enjoy something, when you dedicate yourself to it daily, it can become wearying.  There have been days where I've approached my reading out of a sense of duty more than excitement, but, like a good gym workout, after the fact I've never regretted devoting the time to the page.

Overall, I'd highly recommend a reading list.  At this point, I've even put other (non-British) works on the list, to be read after I'm done my time here.  It gives me a schedule that will probably take me 5 years to fulfill, but it will be worth it.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment