Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (JK Rowling)


 I'm rather ill this evening, so I'll allow my friend, Cornelius Applebottom, to do this post, in interview style.

CA: What did you think of the fifth Harry Potter book?
APS: It was good, thanks.  Very good.  But, I felt this one fell victim to something common in highly successful series- it grew to be too long.  The 870 pages still flew by, but I was left feeling "over-full."  A good friend once told me to always leave the people wanting more, and this time, I just wanted it to end.

CA: Length alone is not a crime- I suspect there's a deeper reason.  Other than length, why did you want it to end?
APS: Insightful question.  The initial thing that really, really made me mad was the character of Dolores Umbridge.  Anger, of course, was the point, but it really struck a chord in me, and at one point, I wanted to stop reading. 

CA: On that note, is it true that you even picked up Pride & Prejudice at one point, rather than read on?
APS: I'm not answering that question.

CA: Further, is it true that, though you read only 2% of P&P, you actually enjoyed it?
APS: Shaddup.

CA: I'm going to need your man card.
APS: Look, we're getting off topic.  The other thing that bothered me seemed to be the plot- it grew long, and ended with some untied ends.  I'm sure they'll be tied in the next book, but it seemed that Rowling let this one get away from her just a tad.

CA: It sounds like you didn't enjoy it.
APS: No, I really did- just not quite as much as the first four books.  I am a tad concerned the series has peaked- my favorite so far is book three- but it's still worth reading.

CA: But you'd rather read Pride & Prejudice.
APS: I'm going to bed.

Rating: A

No comments:

Post a Comment