Thursday, November 3, 2016

The Castle (Franz Kafka)


K is a surveyor, called to the castle to perform his trade.  Arriving at the surrounding village, he's bewildered by what unfolds.  He runs into obstacle after obstacle as he attempts to reach the person who summoned him for the work.  People are unhelpful (and unconcerned), paths are confusing, and his pleas through multiple outlets go unanswered.  Will he ever get to the castle?  Or will he

This one is weird, folks.  Really weird.  SPOILER: K never gets to the castle, the novel ends with an unfinished sentence (see what I did above?), and we never learn the point.  This so bewildered me that I put it down after reading 10%.  Some say it's about theology and man being unable to approach the Almighty; some say the web of bureaucracy; others say it's simply a stunning illustration of the loneliness we all feel.  I'm not sure, and I see some value in these veins.  But perhaps a short story would have been better.  A summary, themes, and review are available if you want to pursue this.  But I recommend you don't.

Rating: C-

No comments:

Post a Comment