Sunday, February 19, 2017

A Concise History of the United States of America (Susan-Mary Grant)


The title says it all.  Here, Newcastle University professor Susan-Mary Grant gives an overview of US history in just 380 pages, from earliest times to President Obama's administration.  I gave it a whirl, but put it down after reading 25%.

Grant packs her sentences with content and qualifiers that make themes difficult to grasp.  (At one point, I likened it to a Pauline epistle.  I'll study word by word in the Bible . . . not in a history book.)  As an overview, I hoped to get a general idea of what happened; elements of that exist here, but they're too difficult to extract.  My quest continues for an American history book similar in style to The Usborne History of Britain.

Rating: B

No comments:

Post a Comment