Sunday, July 28, 2019

Die schönsten Kinderklassiker (Various)


Die schönsten Kinderklassiker is a collection of five stories, which (I presume) are classic tales for German children.  The first two (Der Struwwelpeter and Max und Moritz) are various tales to inspire obedience through terror (act right or you'll get your thumbs cut off and/or be milled into flour); the other three are lower-key and tales of little people who do different things.

I enjoyed the first two stories the most, as their methods were amusing (I especially enjoyed the story of the rabbit who steals the hunter's eyeglasses and rifle as he sleeps, then chases him through the town shooting at him).  I certainly didn't understand everything, but I got the gist.  Reading old German, probably altered to fit into a rhyme, isn't great for those learning.  But it was entertaining.

Rating: B

No comments:

Post a Comment