Thursday, April 29, 2021

Stepper


It's been only 11 months since I purchased my gravel bike, Shadowfax. It's been fantastic, working exactly as advertised- like a road bike that can handle gravel and easy trails. But as we approach our return to America, I got to thinking . . . America lacks the paved/easy bike trails Germany has, and American drivers are much less aware of cyclists. I want to continue biking, but do it safely. So yesterday, I bought a mountain bike, christened Stepper (after a horse in The Wheel of Time fantasy series). 

I didn't make this decision lightly. A few things swayed me:
- Bikes are cheaper and more available here than in America.
- I tested Shadowfax on some of the harder trails (more rocks and roots), and it became clear that it wouldn't do on the trails in MD.
- I suspect my running days are numbered. I still enjoy it, but my legs feel . . . worn . . . after a run. After biking, they feel good. I really want to keep up the cycling in MD.
- It's better for 'touring' rides I take with the kids. Shadowfax is all about showing the meaning of haste, after all. The kids can't keep up with him yet. 

I haven't done a 'real' ride yet with Stepper, but should get plenty of opportunity before we leave here this summer. Welcome, Stepper, to the family. Long may you ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment