Tuesday, July 5, 2022

America: A Narrative History, Vol. 1 (Shi & Tindall)

America: A Narrative History, Volume 1, is a survey of United States history from pre-Colonial times to the end of Reconstruction (1877). I read the "brief tenth edition," which is 20% shorter than the regular tenth edition.

I wanted a refresher in American history. Years ago, I searched for a 'fair' survey text, as American history presentations can be wrought with agendas from the political Left or Right. I was seeking a middle ground- one that presented the events clearly (and gave sufficient/inclusive coverage to noteworthy events and personalities) but also interpreted the significance and motive of controversial episodes in a way that was fair to both sides. This text was recommended, and I think it succeeds. This is largely a political history, but covers some social aspects. The few events with which I was previously familiar were decently (though not perfectly) presented. And I especially appreciated their coverage of the "War of the Union" (what most call the Civil War). Of course it is a whirlwind, covering centuries in just 600 pages. But overall, I think the authors did a good job with this textbook. It was clear, informative, and fair. Recommended.

Rating: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment