Thursday, October 24, 2013

Reading List Reflections


As previously posted, I just finished my "British Reading List" (BRL)- a multi-year effort to read the classics and history of Britain.  The intent was to 'get' Britain- to understand the people, culture, and land in which we found ourselves by reading 129 books.  Did it work?  What did I learn, both universally and personally? Read on if you care.

Did it work?

Did I accomplish the objective- do I now 'get' Britain?  That's hard to answer- there's no standard or objective test by which I can measure progress.  I certainly feel as though I do.  I now understand many more pop culture references to classic literature, and visits to historical sites are more satisfying with my increased background knowledge.  Life is like a puzzle- you have to study and connect a lot of pieces to see the big picture.  I certainly have more of the puzzle completed.  There's always more to read, though- so I can never say "I've arrived; I now know it all." 

The Universal Lessons
The following observations are what I consider universal- things that apply to everyone.

1)  You need to exercise your mind.
Workouts- they're not just for the body.  A consistent reading regimen will help you improve your knowledge, memory, and cognitive abilities.  Your reading speed will increase as well.

2)  You are what you eat- so eat well.
Reading is so much more valuable than alternative hobbies.  Not to discount other pursuits- many things in life are worth doing- but the benefits of reading are many, as covered by this list.  In my life, I've gone through a number of crazes, to include television and video games.  I enjoy these things, but they feel hollow- like I'm wasting my time.  These things can have value- don't get me wrong- but after reading a good (or bad) book, I always felt as though it was time well spent.

3) Regular reading will improve your vocabulary, spelling, and grammar.
It will do it naturally, simply by "being around" words.  I even noticed my speech patterns changing based on what I was reading.  For example, if I picked up typically-eloquent Victorian literature (think Dickens), I found myself speaking more eloquently, without conscious effort.  We're all copycats- so invest in things better than yourself.

4) You shouldn't do it all, but there's always more to do.
There are two lessons here.  As I finished the last book on my list, I thought I'd feel a sense of elation- of real achievement.  Far from it- I felt as though I was just scratching the surface.  You can't read them all, and I have to remember that and be content.  No amount of knowledge can truly satiate, or signify arrival at some enlightened or perfect state.  At the same time, the more you read, the more you realize what you don't know (but perhaps should), and that spurs you on to greater things.  So there's a paradox here- all at once, you realize you have limits, yet realize your potential (and need) to strive for more.

5) Get outside your comfort zone.
You may just be surprised.  I put many classics on the list I greatly feared- "girlie books" among them- and, in general, was pleasantly surprised.  Even if I didn't enjoy something, experiencing new things is important and valuable.  Try different authors- and different genres.  You'll be thankful you did.

6) Fame is fleeting.
Perhaps I should have realized- one generation's obsession can fall into obscurity shortly thereafter.  The example here is the Ingoldsby Legends- extremely popular in Victorian times, but who's heard of it now?  I wonder if people in 100 years will have heard of Harry Potter.



The Personal Lessons
The following observations are personal- things I discovered about my personal preferences while pounding through the BRL.  Just my opinions- so I don't expect them to be universal truths.


1) A reading list must be flexible enough to account for circumstance and whim . . . 
My original BRL was 111 works.  Over the last three years, I dropped 35 of those and added 53 more, giving the final total of 129.  It changed early and often, based on personal interest or circumstance.  I was tied to my goal, but gave flexibility within to "adjust sails" if necessary.

2) . . . but keep the goal in view.
My biggest challenge!  Perusing the final list, I see where my fancy took over and led me down an interesting, but ultimately unrelated, path.  The best example is The Crusades by Thomas Asbridge.  Phenomenal book- outstanding.  But frankly, not related to my goal.  I should have saved it for another time.

3) The old stuff isn't all it's cracked up to be.
When I say old, I mean those written in the 500s-1700s.  I was consistently unimpressed with my ancient selections.  There was value in reading some of them, but they can be largely skipped.  Even the works translated into modern English suffered from requiring a fair amount of period knowledge to fully enjoy them. 

4) Avoid the tourist books.
Most tourist attractions have a book section, and I head straight to it.  I'm a sucker for books related to sites, but I was mostly let down by those "local" selections.  There are diamonds in the rough, but they're few and far between.

5) Go Victorian.
Once we hit the 1800s, life gets grand indeed.  I love the eloquence and stories of the Victorians.  From the Victorian Gothic to authors like Charles Dickens or Sir Walter Scott, it's hard to go wrong in that era.

6) Enjoy the new-found pleasures.
I look forward to reading more Victorian literature, medieval history, historical fiction (Bernard Cornwell and Ken Follett), Arthurian literature, Agatha Christie, and G.K. Chesterton. 




Final Thought

More reading lists are in my future.  Probably not 129 books, and probably not as broad in scope, but there is great value in structured reading plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment