Wednesday, June 10, 2015

The Ocean at the End of the Lane (Neil Gaiman)


A fantasy novel by renowned author Neil Gaiman, The Ocean at the End of the Lane is the tale of a boy, his special friend Lettie Hempstock, and the monster they both encounter in their childhood.  Unleashed into this world by a suicide, the foe takes hold of the boy's family and threatens to destroy all.  The boy finds refuge with Lettie and her family, who live in the house at the end of the lane, besides which there is a pond (which Lettie calls the ocean).  They will overcome the fiend- but at what cost?

This is my third Neil Gaiman novel, and like the first two, I enjoyed it.  His works are different in a good way- well-written, unconventional, engaging, and thought-provoking.  I acknowledge that I don't always follow the point(s) presented in the book, or the symbolism (if there is any), but I appreciate the fact that Gaiman doesn't spoon-feed the reader.  I think the book was about childhood, becoming an adult, the horrors we all face in life, and the sacrifice of others required to make it through.  I could be wrong though- I should think on it more (another quality I enjoy in books- making you think).  My uncertainty tarnishes an otherwise enjoyable experience, and the fault could be entirely my own.  This is recommended.

Rating: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment