Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The Man Who Was Thursday (GK Chesterton)


GK Chesterton is going on my list of favorite authors.  His works were first brought to my attention while perusing "100 best" lists, and I was further intrigued to see him mentioned as a large influence in CS Lewis' life (in fact, Lewis' conversion back to Christianity has been attributed, in part, to Chesterton's writings).  That said, I was very much looking forward to The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare, and I was not disappointed.

The story deals with themes of anarchy and order, chaos and design.  Thursday is a detective who manages to infiltrate the anarchist's council, a group of seven who champion the demise of structure in government/society.  Each of the seven are given a title that corresponds to a day.  As Thursday looks to bring down anarchy from the inside, he's confronted with a number of surprises and ideas that leave him reeling.  I'll say no more- this is a thriller best enjoyed with no foreknowledge.

The novel is a quick read, at ~150 pages, and while the beginning is a bit slow, it picks up steam quickly, to the extent that I didn't want to put it down over the last 100 pages.  Upon finishing, I immediately wanted to go back and start over- there's a lot there.  It's deep, it presents several ideas for further contemplation, and it leaves you wanting more.  I'm sure I missed some (or most) of the meat in the book on my first go-round, but I'm looking forward to seconds, as well as more writings by Chesterton.

Rating: A+

No comments:

Post a Comment