Friday, June 22, 2012

Murder in Retrospect (Agatha Christie)


Murder in Retrospect, also published as Five Little Pigs, was my fifth and final (for now) Christie work.  Like the others, it was excellent.  It deals with a crime 16 years past- the death of a famous painter.  His wife was the obvious suspect, and was convicted; she died in prison shortly thereafter.  Their daughter, a young child at the time, now comes to the famous detective, Hercule Poirot, asking him to investigate the matter, as she's confident her mother was innocent.  He does so, and re-evaluates the crime based on fresh recollections of 5 suspects- the only 5 who could have had anything to do with the murder, if in fact the wife was innocent.  Each suspect writes out exactly what happened from their point of view, and based on their own words, Poirot draws some startling conclusions.

Like any mystery, there are twists and turns, and I'll say no more regarding the plot.

As my reading list forces me to move on to other authors, Agatha Christie has impressed me, and it's easy to see how she's so popular.  Of the ones I've read, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (not reviewed on this blog) is my favorite, but this one is close behind.

Rating: A+

No comments:

Post a Comment