Thursday, July 26, 2012

Castle (Marc Morris)


When you come right down to it, my favorite thing about living in Europe are the castles.  Castle is pitched as a book that explores the history of these wonderful buildings.  I picked it up in eager anticipation.

Morris is a gifted author, and his account is well-written.  You do get a decent overview of the rise and fall of castles, and the general types of construction (and how castles evolved) over the centuries.  However, it feels more like a history book with some stories of specific castles thrown in, than a general overview of the structures.  That makes it more readable and lively, but less informative on the subject than I would have liked.  I admit it is hard, though, to be complete on the subject, so overall, I liked it.

Since a few specific castles are discussed in detail, if you're going to any of the following, I'd recommend reading the sections pertaining to them, as it will heighten your enjoyment:

Beaumaris, Conwy, Caernarfon, Harlech (North Wales)
Raglan (South Wales)
Tower of London, Rochester, Bodiam (South England)
Threave, Urquhart, Craigievar (Scotland)

Rating: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment