Sunday, October 28, 2012

The Perks of the Jedi Lifestyle

The other day, we celebrated Halloween in our community.  The more astute of you will realize that it is not yet, in fact, Halloween.  This year they chose to celebrate in our area on the Friday nearest 31 October, to both confuse the local populace and encourage excessive indulgence by placing it before the weekend ("sugar it up kids, we don't care- tomorrow's Saturday").  It is what it is.

My favorite part of the holiday is dressing up.  I'm normally the Joker, but this year I wanted something different.  What could be better than Star Wars?  And, even better, now I have two kids I could dress to my whim.  Sensing an opportunity, I chose to be Obi-Wan Kenobi; my son was Yoda, and my daughter was Princess Leia.  Her best friend was  Han Solo, so we had a nice little ensemble going.

Here's one of my many thoughts on life: you're either in or you're out.  Don't do things halfway.  So, for increased authenticity, I seized this opportunity to grow out my beard.  My wife, predictably, was against the idea, but I explained it was necessary for the children to see the real deal.  I sometimes weep when I think of how selfless I can be.  Anyway, two months ago, I began my preparations.  I started growing the stubble and obtained a good costume online, minus lightsaber and boots.  Last week, I completed the outfit by borrowing a lightsaber from my coworker's children, and buying wellies*.  I was ready to go.

Festivities didn't start until the afternoon, but where's the fun in waiting?  So, I wore my costume to work and, surprisingly, I learned a good deal by my day as a Jedi.  The most important takeaways:

1) The Outfit
Jedi robes have no pockets.  None.  I felt a little foolish sporting a man-purse all day, but I can't survive without my wallet, keys, and lip gloss.  The robes are also baggy, and get caught easily on furniture and stair railings.  That would have been cool to see incorporated into the movies, though it would have done little to contribute to the epic quality of the films.  Finally, it's hard to sit down in the robes- my mobility was noticeably limited once seated.  I'm not even going to get into using the bathroom.  Overall, the outfit isn't as practical as the movies led me to believe.  A small part of my world has been shattered.
 
2) The Reactions 
People's reactions are generally predictable, and easy to categorize, as I do below.  It's a fascinating psychological study, in my opinion.
- bewilderment: I got many mystified looks by the passersby.  This was perhaps due to the celebration not being on Halloween proper, and thus causing confusion.  It may also be due to disbelief that an adult would parade around in such attire.  I suspect/hope the former was more often the reason.
- avoidance: Some people saw me out of the corner of their eye, then noticeably turned their face away until we passed.  Interesting.  Were they afraid that I'd bite?
- abject fear: This was my personal favorite, because it came more from adults than children.  I realize I am physically imposing, but I'm generally good-natured, so don't fret, good people of England- I'm on your side.
- amusement: This was the desired, and most common, reaction. 
- fixation: This could have caused an accident.  Some saw me as they drove by, and locked their eyes on me, mouths gaping, as we passed.  Was it my good looks that caught their attention, or the lightsaber?

3) The Point
Why did I dress up?  I think on this each year, because it's good to examine your motives.  There are good and bad reasons for donning an outfit:
- attention: this is the obvious one, and yes, if I'm honest with myself, part of it has to do with desiring attention.  But, I believe there are other reasons, too- better ones.
- morale: I've found that, in today's work environment, there are so many people who take things (and themselves) way too seriously.  We've become a culture that, in some ways, is losing the ability to "lighten up."  If I make someone smile by what I wear, if I brighten a part of their day, or if I make them loosen up a bit and enjoy the holiday more, I've accomplished what I intended.
- personal growth: this may seem odd to some, but yes, I've found personal growth in wearing an outfit.  Why?  Because it's practice being the center of attention in a public setting, which helps when I give talks at work by increasing my comfort level in that situation.  In college, I once wore a dress at a creative night** to loosen up the acts that followed.  It not only put them more at ease, I found it put me more at ease later in the year, when giving speeches in classes.  I'd gotten in front of people in a dress; giving a speech dressed normally was suddenly a lot easier.  It's a strange way to increase your comfort level, but it is effective.

Well, I'm not sure what else to say.  I enjoyed the event, and others did, too.  I think I'll dress up again, on Halloween proper, though I may have to substitute cargo pants for my official Jedi pants, so I can drop the purse.  May the Force be with you and yours on this upcoming Halloween.


* As many pointed out, wellies are not a part of the standard Jedi ensemble, but it's Yorkshire, people, and Jedi gotta adapt.  Also, wellies are cheaper.
** No, I will not go into detail, except to say that a video does exist.  Contact me if interested- bring money.

No comments:

Post a Comment