Thursday, April 25, 2013

Problem of Pain (CS Lewis)

Reading CS Lewis is always a mixed bag for me.  The man is full of insight and wisdom (this book is so packed with it that it felt akin to reading Scripture) that each sentence needs much examination and reflection.  I love his insights and the tone- he never comes across as holier-than-thou, or puffed up with knowledge.  In The Problem of Pain, he investigates a topic of much consternation among believers and non alike- why does a good God allow pain?  He discusses the different kinds of pain, Heaven, Hell, and a variety of related topics here.

Overall, the book is a great read.  My main issue is how deep it is, and (in my opinion) Lewis can ramble a bit.  He operates inside a high-level structure, but within each chapter, there were moments when I found myself totally lost.  Part of that is due to the depth of his arguments/observations- and part may be Lewis' fault.  That aside, this one is recommended for people of all beliefs.

Rating: A

No comments:

Post a Comment