Friday, May 23, 2014

Godzilla


Until yesterday, I had never seen a Godzilla movie in my life.  I wish that were still true. 
The newest Godzilla just came out in theaters, and it's not worth your time.  Find out why below.

Godzilla tells the story of three monsters (mild spoilers follow).  Fifteen years ago, a scientist is killed in a reactor leak as her (also-scientist) husband helplessly looks on.  The area is locked down, and the husband becomes obsessed with determining the cause of the anomaly that caused the leak.  He eventually determines that it was a natural cause- and seeks to find the source.  Fast forward to the present.  The same anomalies happen again, and eventually they discover two "mutos" (ancient weird-looking giant monster bug creatures) have awoken and are putting out mating calls to each other across the Pacific.  These monsters feed on radiation- which is what drew one to the reactor years prior.  As they gravitate towards each other, another ancient awakes to hunt them: Godzilla.  As you'd expect, absolute havoc follows as they all duke it out in (where else) a major population center: San Francisco.

This movie, regrettably, was bad on many levels.  The overall story was weak, and clearly just filler to get to the scenes where giant monsters fight.  I don't expect realism in a movie like this, but I do expect plot consistency/logic and some degree of believable character reactions to the situation at hand; I didn't see either.  The only good thing I can say is that the monsters seemed unconcerned with people, and cared only for fighting each other, which was unusual (and cool).  That aside, skip this one.

Rating: D

2 comments:

  1. I got a feeling that this Godzilla will be on-par, if not better, than most of the older Toho movies, and it'll still probably beat the snot out of the '98 movie. Will have to see it soon myself to see how I like it.

    We think you're just disappointed that there's no comic book attached to it. :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe, Alan :-). I just think they could have done this one better.

    ReplyDelete