Monday, March 2, 2015

Retirement?



My retirement is decades away, but in the last few years, I've had a number of friends, colleagues, and family members step away from their career jobs and enter that new realm.  I've seen people retire well and poorly, so I write today to remind myself that both are possible- but only one is acceptable.  Below are my thoughts on retirement, and how I hope it goes for me.

Background
In the history of the world, the idea of retirement is a new concept.  Germany formally introduced the concept in 1889 (source here), and now most people expect it- in western nations, the average retirement age is 65.  In fact, only 20% of Americans are working at age 65 and over (and the number shrinks to 5% once you hit age 70- see aforementioned source).  So, most of us in the USA are out of the workforce by age 65.  And since our life expectancy is just about 80 years (here), it means we spend the last 15 years- about 20% of our total lifespan!- without a full-time 'career' job.  That's a long time . . . and can be used well or poorly.

A Typical Goal- and Result
What's the point of retirement?  Why do many people so yearn for it?  In some conversations I've had, a general theme comes through: the thought that retirement is all about the individual- doing what they want, when they want, where they want, how they want.  Perhaps you've seen shirts or coffee mugs with retirement sayings on them; a sample is below:
"Don't ask me to do one damn thing- I'm retired"
"I don't want to, I don't have to, you can't make me- I'm retired"
"Now employed as part-time pain in the butt"
"Knows it all and has plenty of time to tell you about it"

The obvious trend in these discussions and slogans is "me."  It's all about me.  Me me me me me me me.  And, this focus on "me" appears to mean spending most of the day in relaxation or enjoyment.  Is such shameless self-obsession healthy?  Should retirement be simply a focus on total, near-constant self-gratification?  No, of course, and here are some results I've personally seen from those who treat this stage of life as such:
- breathtaking weight gain/health problems
- decreasing flexibility- in every sense of the word
- increasing focus on and obsession with impressively trivial matters
- easily winded by the slightest exertion (of any kind- mental, physical, etc.)
- descent into mental health problems and outright insanity
- increasing rudeness to those around them

In short, some people get to the point where they're beyond being unhelpful- they're actively hindering or burdening others.  May I never be that person.

A Better Way
So if the last section looked at what not to do, what should the goal be?  I'm not suggesting that there's a one-size-fits-all schematic for the ideal retirement.  How it should look will vary based on our abilities and limitations- and age can affect both significantly.  Still, if I manage my life well, and am financially able to step away from a full-time job, I want to use the following tips for my own retirement some day:

1. Have a Plan
My goal is to write a retirement plan 4-5 years before I execute it.  Having a plan before you enter into anything is a good idea, as your goals may require some preparation before the fact.  It need not be overly detailed or written in stone, of course.  Before and during retirement, review it regularly for feasibility and progress, and amend if necessary.

2. Keep Moving
Things in motion will stay in motion; Things at rest will stay at rest- unless acted upon by an outside force.  Newton's first law of motion applies well to retirement.  I want to be active, so it's important to maintain a reasonable energy level.  Will I be able to run as fast, as far, as I can today?  Unlikely- but I shouldn't just stop altogether.  I need to keep moving physically, mentally, and spiritually.  In all three areas, I should do something every day.

3. Keep Growing
"You can't teach an old dog new tricks."  A common trap I see my elders fall into is to cease growing and sit back on what was.  They talk about the past incessantly.  "That's what we did 40 years ago," they say, and the implication is often that we should still be doing that today.  "Bah," I say- be a lifelong learner, and keep growing.

4. Serve Others
All people blessed to retire have two things ideally suited to serving others: time and talents.  I hope I'm able to use both to help others.  Since I enjoy reading, sports, and board games (to name a few hobbies), I'd like to use these interests in a way that helps others.  There are many opportunities-  volunteering, tutoring, running errands, helping those in need, coaching sports . . . there's no end of needs in our communities, and retirees have the time to help.  I may also have other resources- like expendable income- that can also be used to assist.

5. Pass the Baton
As I move from job to job, I try to make life better for my successor by leaving behind a body of work they can use as a foundation.  Isaac Newton once said "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants," and that's how we improve as a society- by building on what has come before.  Therefore, I hope any knowledge I've gained can be passed on to the next generation, so they can build on it and do bigger, better things.  Such knowledge can be passed by mentoring, teaching, creating tutorials, blogging, or many other means . . . may I use them.

6. Enjoy
You may think that I'm advocating a Spartan or self-denying retirement of horror.  I'm not; I just don't want to lapse into the self-absorbed coma I see in so many today.  Yes, I hope I'll take breaks, travel, and rest- I just hope that's the exception, not the norm.  I want get enjoyment out of helping others; to look back on these end days and say "I made a [positive] difference; those who remain are better off now than before."  After all, "knowing that we have an infinitely satisfying and everlasting inheritance in God just over the horizon of life makes us zealous in our few remaining years here to spend ourselves in the sacrifices of love, not the accumulation of comforts." (Albert Mohler)

Good (and Bad) Examples
I'll conclude with some examples I've seen in my neighbors and family.  They are, after all, the reason I wrote this post in the first place.

Good:
- my 80-year-old neighbor volunteers regularly at children's camps and for the USO.  She  makes it a point to get out of her house every day, even when she doesn't want to.  "I could easily sit at home and read all day," she once told me, "but what good would that do?"

- another neighbor (86) uses his love for golf by teaching children a few times a week ("I don't do it more often, because it takes business away from the people doing it for money"), and still does all his own yard work.  He's thin, active, and helpful.

Bad:
- a certain associate has made good on his vow to do nothing in retirement.  Now retired for 20+ years and grossly overweight, he spends his days sitting at a window staring at a field- when he's not verbally abusing family members and being generally disagreeable.

- another associate has spent her days accumulating things she doesn't use.  A lifetime of such conduct has resulted in a home that is disgustingly cluttered and smells terrible.  Recently forced to part with her foul-smelling mess, she told her son that "she just wanted to die surrounded by her things . . ." not her family or friends, apparently- just smelly old stuff she never used.  How delightful.

Retirement is a luxury, not a right, and must be done well- just like everything else in life.


No comments:

Post a Comment