Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Dreamin' Big

image from here
What would you do if time and money were no object?  If you had no daily responsibilities that tied you to an area, career, or routine?  If you could do nothing all day but pursue your dreams . . . what would you do?  I can think of several things:

Write a book
My biggest dream is to write a book- or several.  I'd want to be a combination of Dave Barry, CS Lewis, and Charles Dickens.  I'd produce works of fantasy, theology, history, and comedy- maybe all in one volume.  I have a list of ideas (and even book titles) from over the years . . .
image from here
Design and publish a game
I'd love to design and publish a stand-alone, fast-playing (in under 30 minutes) card game.  Preferably Star Wars starship-themed, with capital ships (represented on cards) engaged in tactical combat for galactic mastery.  I have several concepts in mind . . .
image from here
See the world
I've been blessed to see 30+ countries already, but there are a few more on my bucket list.  Specifically:

New Zealand: for the natural beauty . . .and Lord of the Rings sites
Peru: Machu Picchu would be amazing to see
France: Carcassonne . . . love those Medieval cities
Slovenia: heard it's nice . . . and I love eastern Europe
Croatia: Dubrovnik . . . again, love those Medieval cities
Romania: Castle Bran . . . Dracula, anyone?
Turkey: Istanbul . . . because it was Constantinople.
Israel: Jerusalem . . . and surrounding religious sites
Egypts: the great Pyramids and other ancient sites
Russia: Moscow & St. Petersburg  . . . I'd love to wear a Captain America shirt and do the capitalism dance in Red Square
My top remaining travel desires; drawn using google maps

Drive across the USA
With three young children, this is ill-advised.  But some day . . .
one idea for a route; image from here
Learn archery
Oh yeah.  Robin Hood, watch out.  There's a new ginger in the forest, and he ain't happy.
image from here
Learn the bo staff
Something about fighting with a stick has always appealed to me.  Seems so handy . . . you can find sticks anywhere, right?  Donatello, stand aside.
this is not me, promise . . . image from here
Give a Joplin concert
I have this strange idea in my head: give a 2-hour concert with ~15 Joplin rags interspersed with historical and cultural commentary to provide context.  It will never happen; though I love public speaking, I freeze in front of audiences when I'm at the piano.
image from here

Lecture around the country
About what?  I have no idea.  Star Wars?  King Arthur?  Robin Hood?  Engineering?  Tabletop gaming?  I love teaching people in a classroom setting, but in a one-time kind of way.  That's why I love giving things like TEDtalks.
This could be me . . . I'm sure I would have that condescending look, too.  Image from here
Make fantasy maps
I have no experience or skill in this area . . . but love the art in general, and in particular would like to create actual country maps in this fantasy map setting.
image from here
Conclusion
A man can dream, can't he?  A man can dream . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment