Thursday, June 30, 2016

Slow and Steady

Image from here
Recently, I was discussing with a friend how a member of my family has changed (for the better) over the years.  When I mentioned the duration required to bring about that change- decades- my friend's reply surprised me: "it's probably better that way."

We're obsessed with speed.  We want to lose weight fast, get places fast, do things fast, achieve fast.  And yet, how many crash diets work?  How many resolutions are broken?  We vow to improve, start strong . . . and fade fast.  Maybe we're taking the wrong approach.  Maybe slow and steady really does win the race.

At the halfway point of 2016, I see a trend as I look back on the past few years: I've changed for the better, but oh so slowly.  From minimizing (material possessions and weight), to better routines, to improving fitness, to a healthier approach to life, change has occurred at a turtle pace.

I continue to lose weight, slowly: I've lost 6 lbs so far this year (I lost 5 last year).  Running has improved, slowly: I'm on track to double the number of miles run (from 2015 totals).  Reduction of material items continues to improve, slowly: I have only 3 physical books left in my 'owned but unread' pile (that number was 120 a few years ago- see below chart).  Focus on the Lord is improving, slowly: I'm spending more time learning God's word and in community more.  I'm becoming a marginally better parent- ever so slowly- trying to spend more time with my kids and speak more gently to them as I guide them through life.

owned but unread books
I'm not there yet.  I haven't met my goal of dropping to 180lbs.  I need to stretch more frequently, as I'm impressively inflexible.  I have too much stuff in a number of other areas- principally movies and games- and I need to whittle those down (use it or lose it!).  I need to pray more, care for my family more, love more.  But, by the grace of God, I'm in the right direction.  And I hope the slow and steady approach will result in sustained, permanent improvement that will ultimately prove far more effective than the 'fast but fade' mentality.

No comments:

Post a Comment