Sunday, May 14, 2017

Arkham Asylum (Various)


Billed a 'psychological horror story,' Arkham Asylum sees the inmates (Joker, Two-Face, and all the rest) take over the famous facility.  They demand only one thing: Batman's presence.  Bats arrives and experiences, for a brief time, life in the asylum.  Can he overcome the demons inside- both the house and himself?

This one is definitely different.  I've read it a few times over the years, and never really understood it fully (this time, I read the author's full script and notes afterward, which helped me get it more).  There are multiple things going on:
- it's symbolic of Batman facing the inner demons of his tragic past.  Arkham is a 'looking glass,' and the criminals therein are aspects of Batman's life/struggle
- it gives backstory of the asylum and its founder, Amadeus Arkham
- it implies the house itself has a spirit of sorts, and the bat plays a role in containing/overcoming it
- it looks at madness of all of us, and suggests that "it's only madness that makes us what we are"

The story was dark- really dark.  I like dark, if it's done well.  This one was . . . okay.  It was confusing, hard to read in places (the Joker's words are hard to make out), and a bit too disturbing for even my tastes.  The art is provocative, impressionist, surreal, disturbing, raw, and gritty (see below for some examples).  While it wasn't my preferred style, I recognize the talent of the artist, and his work fits the tone of the piece perfectly.  Overall, I think there are better treatments out there, but I do have a mild appreciation for this.  I don't think I'll read it again, though.


Rating: B-

No comments:

Post a Comment