Thursday, October 5, 2017

The Illustrated Encyclopaedia of Arthurian Legends (Ronan Coghlan)


The Illustrated Encyclopaedia of Arthurian Legends is exactly what it claims to be.  "This book is primarily intended as a reference book and its main aim is to provide a detailed 'who's who', 'what's what' and 'where's where' covering all the different strands of the Arthurian legends, something which no book has hitherto achieved."  After a brief introduction concerning a potential historical Arthur, author Ronan Coghlan produces a 250-page encyclopedia, dotted with relevant artwork from the ages.

Long have I sought this out-of-print book, and delighted to find it on ebay for $12, I tore into it upon its arrival.  Though thorough and informative, I was disappointed.  The fault is not with the author- he accomplishes what he sets out to do.  I was expecting many more and larger illustrations, which I now realize is my ultimate interest.  This is mostly text.  Encyclopedias in the digital age are of limited value . . . google searches can tell me much of what exists herein.  But if you're fanatically interested in all things pertaining to King Arthur, this book would be a nice addition to your collection.

Rating: B

No comments:

Post a Comment