Monday, August 27, 2018

The New American Commentary on 1, 2 Peter, Jude (Schreiner)


The New American Commentary series looks in-depth at books of the Bible, giving the lay reader background on key Greek phrases and historical context (including authorship, audience, etc.) to help better understand the passages.  I read the section on Jude in the book covering that plus 1 & 2 Peter.

Though in places it seems focused on minutiae, this was a good read.  I never thought I could plug through 90 pages on Jude (the book itself is one or two), but I found it valuable.  It uses the NIV translation, so a portion of the commentary is geared toward how the NIV translated a given text and whether that was the best choice.  The author also mentions alternative interpretations on the translation and meaning (though he makes his preference clear).  I learned a lot.

Rating: A

No comments:

Post a Comment