Saturday, January 5, 2019

Get Lost

Our first few weeks in Germany has reinforced the value of getting lost (both geographically and linguistically). It happens a lot as we learn our way around. Modern conveniences certainly help us map our surroundings, but to really know your way around, you have to jump right in and get firsthand knowledge on how to get out through lots of trial and error. I love it and hate it.

I love it because it's how we grow. Leadership positions taught me that- you'll spend a good amount of time early on having no idea what's going on, but 'drowning' in unfamiliar territory makes you get smart fast (or, in my case, at least learn to fake it). We grow through our mistakes and uncomfortable situations.

I hate it because I prefer using my brain as little as possible. Studies have shown how much time the average human spends on autopilot, and it's impressive. Thinking is hard- it's easier to go through the same old familiar routine so much that we can do it in our sleep. Ever drive to work and realize, upon arrival, that you have no recollection of the journey? Yeah . . . It's scary but not uncommon.
Moving overseas has jolted us into the unfamiliar, and forced us in the process to learn some new ropes. But ultimately, that's a good thing. So here's to getting lost and messing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment