Sunday, May 31, 2020

A New Direction


Rewind to mid-March. I had lost ~10 lbs so far in 2020 and was in a good routine, well on my way to losing ten more and meeting my goal. Then the COVID-19 pandemic shut down and isolated much of Germany, and I found myself suddenly at home with no access to the gym. Worse, my legs were really bothering me, meaning my other workout- running- was severely minimized. I [rightly] suspected that constant access to a kitchen, combined with significant free time, would not help. I feared dark days ahead.  But then . . . maybe there was a way forward.
Retreat?! Hell!  We're just attacking in another direction.
-attributed to a Marine during the Korean War 
New situations require new measures- new routines. Though isolated, we were permitted to exercise alone outdoors. With running reduced, my thoughts turned to my 2003 Jamis Aurora touring bicycle.

Quick history: my bicycle has seen very little use in the 17 years I've owned it. I estimate:
  • 2003-2007: 5 rides, 25 miles
    • I biked to work a few times, and did one outing with a friend. I just wasn't into it.
  • 2007-2011: 5 rides, 100 miles
    • I'd bike to work occasionally in Germany, on a lovely route along the Rhine, but frequent flats and a problematic knee (see next paragraph) deterred me from more frequent usage.
  • 2011-2014: 0 rides, 0 miles
    • We had no room for the bikes in our England home, so friends stored it in their garage for our tour.
  • 2014-2018: 7 rides, 30 miles 
    • The kids were too young to bike at all, or to keep up with us once they learned. Plus, the streets in our neighborhood weren't the best for biking, as there was no shoulder and American drivers don't look out for bicyclists like they should.
  • 2018-March 2020: 0 rides, 0 miles.
    • We were busy traveling and hosting people.
My best biking time was our first stint in Germany, but even there, I had loose cartilage in my knee that locked it up at times, a problem that happened more frequently (and with greater consequence) when I would bike. (I had surgery to fix that in 2011.) Another challenge was the tires- the gravel paths I'd ride caused several flats, which were annoying. (I'd get better tires at some point, more suitable for varied terrain.)  In summary, my bicycling history was effectively non-existent.  Then came COVID.

With no other physical options at my disposal, I pulled out the Jamis and started exploring the local paths. Google searches plus recommendations gave me destination ideas, and Google maps (at first) and Komoot (later and more suitably) gave me routes to them.  Let's see how this would go.

In short, it went extremely well. I've done 32 major rides and covered 432 miles in this area.  Along the way,
  • I was quickly awed by the quantity and quality of bike paths in this area, and how they cut through field, farm, forest, and village in all directions. The trails and views are astounding; the options numerous. 
  • I found that the European traffic is much more used to (and respectful of) bicyclists, making it even easier to enjoy a ride. 
  • Physically, I came to appreciate the cardio and muscular workout bicycling affords. For me, running did the former and lifting the latter; bicycling combines them (at least for the lower body).
  • Bicycling, in this region, is also an easy means of commute or destination travel. I enjoyed Roman ruins, Medieval castles and towns, a hunting palace, huge forests, the Rhein River, and more. I dropped off the car for repairs and biked home; I'd bike to the pharmacy and to run small errands. In many cases, it was more direct to bike, easier to find parking, and not much more time.
  • I'm astounded by the natural beauty and sights in this area, within 10 miles of me, that I had no idea existed.
As the rides progressed, I'd more appropriately 'gear up,' buying a phone holder, bell, cycling glasses, gloves, lock, and lights. I haven't yet (and may never buy) a cycling outfit, but I'm starting to think on it.  Rides now are more comfortable and fun.

This whole situation reminds me of a similar time. In 2011, we had just moved to England. Our daughter was 18 months old, the weather was consistently miserable, and as a result, we were confined indoors much more than we'd like. In that time, I turned to voracious reading, and life changed in a good way.

We don't always like what happens in this world. The current situation- which has abated for the moment in Germany, but may return at any time- is difficult for all and ruinous for many. There are times that force us out of our routines and away from familiar exploits. That force us to retreat. But I'm learning that even bad situations can propel us to good things- things we would have otherwise missed. Maybe it's not a retreat at all, but simply an attack in a different direction.

Below are some pictures from rides over the past two months.











No comments:

Post a Comment