Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Prince Caspian (C.S. Lewis)


Generations after The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe . . . Prince Caspian is a Telmarine and the rightful ruler of Narnia, but his evil Uncle Miraz has claimed the title for himself after murdering Caspian's father. Fleeing for his life, Caspian encounters the stuff of legends: talking animals, the ancient (and original) inhabitants of the land! They agree to help him go against his uncle, but it's clear more help is needed. Blowing a horn of legend, they hope to summon Kings Peter and Edmund, and Queens Susan and Lucy, to join the fight- and hope for Aslan, king of the world, to join them. But will they come? And will it be enough?

I first reviewed this in 2016 (here); I'm reviewing it again because the passage of four years (and reading it out loud to my kids) has given me a different take on the story. I still enjoyed it, but not quite as much as I did last time. It's good, not great. Some elements of wisdom, fun characters, etc., but not as profound or interesting as the first-published release in the series. Looking back on my thoughts on the entire series (here), I agreed then that it wasn't in the top half of the seven books (placing it fifth of seven); I wonder how I'll feel about the others now.

Rating: B

No comments:

Post a Comment