Saturday, April 3, 2021

Death in Rome (Wolfgang Koeppen)


I cannot improve upon the back cover's summary: "A tragic portrait of Germany after World War II, mirroring the social and political upheaval following the defeat of Nazism, Death in Rome tells the story of four members of a German family- a former SS officer, a young man preparing for the priesthood, a composer, and a government administrator- reunited by chance in the decaying beauty of postwar Rome." 

Guilt, confusion, anger, hatred, and longing pervade this novel. The SS general rails against perceived betrayals as he longs for the old days. His son seeks refuge in the church. The government administrator, whose indifference contributed to the horror, looks to make his way in the new world. His son composes music "out of fear, out of desperation, because of the apparitions and terrible dreams . . . I guessed, I asked questions, I didn't know the answer, I had no answer, I could give no answer; there was no answer." He wants to change Germany, but "it already seemed to me that Germany was past changing, that one could only change oneself . . ." 

I was both enthralled and bored by this work. It's not my preferred style- was this stream-of-consciousness writing? Sections seemed to drone on and were dreadfully dull, but the latter third of the book in particular was a poignant window into the variety of emotions and responses of a conquered and reeling people.

Rating: B-

No comments:

Post a Comment