Sunday, August 7, 2022

The Battle of the Alamo (Matt Doeden)

In early 1836, Texas was fighting for independence from Mexico. A small band of Texans and volunteers (including Davy Crockett and Jim Bowie) holed themselves up in the Alamo, an old mission-turned-fort, and held off the advancing Mexican army (under Santa Ana) for several weeks before being overcome and defeated. The loss would galvanize the Texans, however, and they would soon defeat Mexico and become independent. Their rallying cry? "Remember the Alamo."

I got to see the Alamo this week. (It's really small, but worth a visit if you're in the area.) Knowing very little about the battle there, I opted for this graphic novel to give me an overview. Written for children, it is a good account of the event. I want to study the battle (and personalities) more; I saw the following books in the giftstore that intrigued me:

- Three Roads to the Alamo (William C. Davis)
- The Blood of Heroes (James Donovan)

Both are highly regarded. But they are meatier accounts; this graphic novel was just fine for an introduction.

Rating: B

No comments:

Post a Comment