Saturday, September 10, 2022

The Rings of Power, so far

It is finally here! One week ago, Amazon released its much-anticipated, much-feared series The Rings of Power, a sort of prequel to The Lord of the Rings movies. We are three episodes in to an eight-chapter first season. I don't normally review things before completion, but this is getting enough attention that I thought some words were warranted.

When Amazon paid a bajillion dollars* in 2017 for the rights to produce shows set in Tolkien's world, fans held their breath. Would Amazon be faithful to Tolkien's material, worldview, and vision? Or would this become yet another vehicle to push present-day agendas? When trailers started releasing months ago, there was an outcry that elves, dwarves, and other races all included minority actors- seeing a black elf, dwarf, and harfoot** didn't sit well with some, who claimed that didn't fit Tolkien's vision. That initially surprised me, to be honest, but ultimately didn't bother me- though I did wonder what else would be in store. So I awaited the show with bated breath, trying not to get my hopes up, yet cautiously optimistic. 

Here is my opinion through three episodes: the show isn't bad. I have some criticisms, but on the whole, I think they are doing a good job. Keeping it as spoiler-free as possible, here is what I liked:
- The visuals are stunning. The production value here is sky-high. 
- Exploring other areas of Middle Earth not previously seen in film is exciting.
- Exploring other times- before the events in the books- is also great.
- The overall story seems good enough.
- It maintains Tolkien's sense of an epic good vs. evil battle. And of 'the good guys' grappling with how they should act in that moment of time. I like David French's article contrasting this to (say) A Game of Thrones, which is effectively an amoral power struggle.

Here's what I criticize, though I add a caveat afterwards:
- Galadriel never struck me as a warrior type. Seeing her portrayed as such seems to reinforce this idea in my mind that American filmmakers feel the need to show strength through physical, and not mental or spiritual, characteristics. 
- Halbrand seems too Aragorn-like.
- Oddly, I was bothered that most elves do not have long hair. Isn't that a requirement or something?
- One story arc in particular seems bizarre. So far.

My caveat to my criticisms: I am not sure if my criticisms are founded in Tolkien's vision or just me complaining. Though I've read a fair amount of Tolkien, I've never studied his universe critically; I enjoyed the stories for their adventure and wisdom. I haven't paid close attention to Galadriel's early days or Halbrand or the Elves' hairstyles. So though I have images in my mind of what they should be, those impressions are likely tied more to Peter Jackson's movies than Tolkien's works as a whole.

On the whole, so far I'm pleased. I look forward to what's coming.

*okay, is was $250 million for the rights, plus $750 million invested to produce the first six series.
**precursors to hobbits. They are in Tolkien's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment