Saturday, April 8, 2023

The Super Mario Bros. Movie

Mario and Luigi are plumbers in Brooklyn trying to start their own company. Things aren't going so well, but they don't give up. As they investigate a water problem underground, they are transported to the mushroom kingdom, where they discover that Bowser is wreaking havoc. He threatens further destruction if Princess Peach doesn't marry him. Can the Mario Bros. save the day before it's too late?

I knew going in this was a kid's movie, and adjusted expectations accordingly. Still, I was disappointed. The best kid's movies (and books) can provide value for all ages; this did not. While the homages to a handful of classic Nintendo video games were fun, and hearing familiar Mario themes played as classical music was great, the rest fell flat. Plot/character development were rushed, the humor was so-so, and overall, I was left wanting more. My kids liked it; the youngest (7) gave this an A, while my middle (10) said it was a B-. I rate it lower.

Rating: D

No comments:

Post a Comment