Sunday, September 3, 2023

Amulet Volume 1: The Stonekeeper (Kazu Kibuishi)

Two years after their father died in a car crash, Emily, her brother Navin, and their mom leave the city to start fresh in their ancestral country home. But it is quickly apparent that the old house has its secrets, from a powerful amulet to mysterious monsters. When mom is captured, Em and Navin pursue into a whole new world, with surprises and perils around every corner. Can they rescue her before it's too late?

It is nice to get back to reading after spending a few months finishing the basement (see previous posts). This one was an impulse buy for my son's eighth birthday. He read it in a day and encouraged me to do the same. The first of many volumes (they've released eight so far), I found the story basic but the delivery captivating. I loved the artwork and am intrigued enough to read the second volume. But most of all, this book got my son reading, and for that, I give it high marks.

Rating: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment