Thursday, November 9, 2023

The Phantom of the Opera (Gaston Leroux)

The Paris Opera is a joy for many, but some feel differently. For voices, tragedies, and other mysterious events have given rise to dark rumors of a ghost. What menace lies in the many levels below stage?

The talented Christine DaaĆ© enjoys dazzling success as a singer in the Opera while harboring a secret: she is getting lessons from the 'Angel of Music.' When she rekindles a childhood friendship that blossoms to romance, though, this Angel's jealousy may prove him to be a demon. What, exactly, is going on at the Opera House?

This is a good book, called a "unique mix of Gothic horror and tragic romance" (from the back cover of the Penguin Classics edition). I enjoyed the suspense and story. And the point: while the phantom is clearly a monster, he also conveys a heartbreaking yearning we all display. "To be good, all I ever needed was to be loved for myself." (Meaning to be loved as he is—a disfigured yet gifted person.) In this, he echoes the gospel: "We love because he [God] first loved us." (1 John 4:19) I'd like to say more, but will avoid spoilers. I'll say this: the ending is satisfying, the point is good, and I enjoyed the concept of an Opera House with secrets. I have some unanswered questions about the Phantom himself, but that is a minor ding.

The musical based on the book is obviously quite popular. I should see it some day. 

Rating: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment