Friday, March 15, 2013

From e-Readers to the Folio Society

This post is a largely random/informative note about books in general, more for myself than anyone.  You probably don't want to read on.

Today, I attended another book fair.  I don't feel it necessary to elaborate on the general experience- I did that sufficiently here- but I do have to comment on one event.  In my initial report (read about it if you haven't yet), I mentioned how I had haggled for a book.  Today, as I was perusing the selection at a book stand, the vendor said "I've sold you a book before."  Without looking up, I dismissively replied "no you didn't," which, in hindsight, seemed unnecessarily short, but I don't like to be distracted when I'm "in the [book-hunting] zone."  Anyway, the vendor said "yes, I did.  The Seven Pillars of Wisdom, at the York Book Fair."  I froze.  That was six months ago.  "What an impressive memory you have," was all I could think to say.  "Not really; I remember the haggling" - at which point I laughed, until he finished- "I didn't say it was a fond memory."  We proceeded to have a good, friendly conversation- he wasn't as bitter as his comment implied- but the whole experience got me thinking about the whole experience of obtaining books.

Books are, I believe, in a unique category.  They're the only form of entertainment that's been around, largely unchanged, for hundreds of years (perhaps chess belongs in this category, too, but so what).  As a result, classic works have been published and re-published hundreds of times (for example, The Three Musketeers, by Alexandre Dumas, was published first in 1844, and has at least 173 editions- more than one a year, on average).  So, when it comes to reading a book, it's not always just about the words- it's also about the edition.  Is it hardback, or paperback?  Who published it?  What's the font (both style and size)?  Page size?  Is it illustrated?  If it's foreign, who translated it?  Is it a literal translation?  The questions could go on.  My point is, books stand alone in this vein, in that we may seek not just "book X" but a certain edition of "book X." 

In our quest for our preferred edition of a book, we're presented with a myriad of options.  The mainstream options- current-issue hardbacks and mass market paperbacks- I don't discuss here.  The point of this post is to discuss the "extremes," to which we now proceed.

e-Readers

Use of e-Readers, like the Amazon Kindle, have exploded in recent years.  Having owned one for several years, I've experienced the good and bad of e-books firsthand:

Advantages of e-Readers:
- Storage: the ability to store hundreds/thousands of books on a device smaller than a paperback is quite nice.
- Portability: the ability to carry hundreds/thousands of books on such a small device is ideal for travel, a long commute on public transportation, or minimizing your possessions (as one who's moved rather regularly, I can tell you with authority that minimizing the weight/volume of your personal library is a big bonus).
- Free/cheap books: out-of-copyright books are generally available for free.  This, at minimum, applies to anything published before 1923.  There are a lot of good reads out there in this category.  On my e-Reader, I have perhaps 80 books, and I think all but 5 have been free, public-domain classics.  Of the ones I've paid to own, the cost (for older works) is generally much less- many times less than $2.00.  The cost for new releases is similar (if not identical) to the cost of a physical copy.
- Convenience: if you have a wireless connection, you can browse and download books in seconds- no trips to the store, etc.
- Features: many e-Readers feature things like the ability to change text size, built-in dictionaries, and more, meaning you can easily adjust your reading experience for maximum comfort and understanding.

Disadvantages:
- Graphics: if you want to read a book with charts, pictures, etc, it's difficult to fully appreciate them on most current e-Reader screens.
- Power: like anything else that needs power, you have to keep an eye on your batteries.  Many e-Readers can last weeks on one charge, but you have to keep an eye on it.  I made a big mistake on my first trip with my Kindle- I forgot to "turn off wireless" before leaving the house.  That made the unit search for my wireless network as we traveled, and by the time we arrived at our destination, the batteries were dead.
- Referencing: any book you want to explore non-linearly, for example a reference book, is difficult to use on an e-Reader.  If you want to flip back and forth, get a physical copy.
- Sense of accomplishment: this (to me) is silly, but some people really enjoy seeing their progress by watching their bookmark as it moves through a work.  An e-Reader will tell you what percent of the book remains, but you won't get that physical sign that you're progressing, which bothers some.
-Loaning.  Some e-Readers will now let you loan your books to friends by sending it to their unit for 2 weeks before returning it to yours, but physical books are still much easier to deal with when it comes to loaning to friends and family.

Antiquarian Books

If you want an old book, you can find (as previously stated) many different editions.  Here are the pros and cons of the older books:

Advantages:
- Beauty: in general, as you go back through the decades, you'll find the releases getting more and more beautiful.  The craftsmanship is amazing.   Each book truly is a work of art.
- Value: if you have a first/early edition of a major work, it can be worth a ton of money.  That may, however, discourage you from using it, so think twice about shelling out big bucks for that first edition Dracula.
- Selection: there are many books that were famous in their day, but have since fallen by the wayside and are no longer available (like the Ingoldsby Legends).  Sometimes, the only way you can get an older, more obscure work is through the antiquarian market.

Disadvantages:
- Price: if you want a classic book in good condition, be prepared to pay a mint- perhaps, hundreds, even thousands, of dollars.
- Condition: it's easy to buy old books- even from 200 years ago- for cheap. But- and this is a big but- the condition is often poor with such cheap offerings.  The pages and cover will show wear or be damaged, but the main detractor (for me) is the mold/mildew that tends to develop.  If these books spent any time in an attic or basement- and being passed down through generations, such a thing is likely- you'll get an odor most find unwelcome.

Folio Society

I hadn't heard of the Folio Society until recently.  Their product: "beautiful illustrated books."  They've been around for decades, publishing sturdy, hardback versions of classics.

Advantages:
- Beauty: Folio Society (hereafter, FS) books look great.  The illustrations vary from work to work, but are generally good, and the quality of the printing is top-notch.
- Construction: FS books are bound well- these are made to last.

Disadvantages:
- Price: For new FS releases, most books are 30GBP ($45) each- quite expensive.  If you're willing to buy  used, the price drops quickly- at book fairs, you can generally find volumes for 10GBP ($15).
- Size: FS books, being hardback and illustrated, take up more room than paperbacks, so you'll quickly see that a few volumes take up your bookshelf. 

A Note on Foreign Books

One final topic before my conclusion: foreign books.  Being a fan of some Russian and French literature, I quickly discovered that there's no one English version of, say, Crime and Punishment.  The translator becomes key, so if you're interested in reading a foreign book, I'd advise you to do some research on the translations available for it.  Some translators take the literal approach; some focus on conveying the original intent.  Both approaches have merits; decide what you like best and read accordingly.

Conclusion

To wrap up this largely irrelevant post, I make my judgments on this general subject.

- most books should be read as e-books- especially older ones that can be obtained for free.  It's the wave of the future: give in now, and stop fighting it.  I'm talking to myself as much as others; I've read over a dozen books on the Kindle, and I don't dislike it- I just have trouble overcoming the psychological barrier that feels like I've accomplished more when the book is physically present.
- if you have a book or two you love and read repeatedly, get the Folio Society version of it (if FS has published the title).
- if you have reference books or things heavy on graphics, get the hard copy.
- antiquarian books are, in my opinion, generally not worthwhile, unless you're seeking a title no longer in print.

No comments:

Post a Comment