Saturday, July 6, 2013

Photographer's Guide to the Canon PowerShot S95 (Alexander White)


This is a rather odd review, but here's a fact: we have no idea just how powerful our personal electronics are nowadays.  Smartphones, cameras, iPods, etc  . . . each are capable of amazing things, but if you're like me, you rarely take the time to learn them above what you need for your daily routine.  I decided to change that when I recently purchased a Canon S95 point-and-shoot camera, so I purchased this guide by Alexander White on how to get the most out of my device.

In this book, White walks you through each menu on the camera, and explains each choice as he goes.  It all seemed rather informal, in a way- almost like a friend was walking you, menu-by-menu, through your new camera, explaining some background as he goes- and I enjoyed that tone.  It's a good supplement to the official instruction manual, which is very informative but dry.  White throws in his personal preferences, too, like a friend would- telling you which options he finds the most (and least) useful.  You don't have to read it all the way through- just pick and choose sections that are relevant to you.

While this particular book will interest very few of you, I'd encourage you to "read up" on your camera (or other electronic device) to learn more about what it can do.  You might be surprised how powerful it is- and you may just appreciate it that much more as a result (not to mention, you may get better pictures).  After reading, I learned a few tips that made me enjoy (and get better use of) my camera.  All in all, it was worth it.

Rating: B

No comments:

Post a Comment