Monday, January 20, 2014

Strange Brew


When a friend recently took a job in Canada, my mind went immediately to Strange Brew.  A deliberately absurd comedy, it tells the story of Bob & Doug McKenzie- brothers who try to blackmail the local brewery for free beer, and end up involved in a plot to control the world.  Canadian to the core, the movie is full of beer and doughnuts, eh? 

It had been 15 years since I last saw this flick, and I hope it's 15 more.  It certainly has its moments- some laugh-out-loud lines and scenarios- but most of it is cheesy, inexplicable, and strange- even for my tastes.  The 1980s effects don't help, except for a laugh.  I bin this in the same category as Monty Python, meaning
1) whether it's funny or stupid depends on the day and your mood
2) females almost definitely will not appreciate it

Rating: C-

No comments:

Post a Comment