Monday, April 21, 2014

Castles of the North


As I did for Abbeys (here), today I look at a miscellany of castles in northern England.  The below list does not cover any such structures already covered by other posts (here, here, or here), so think of this as a 'mop-up' post.

Bamburgh Castle
Bamburgh is situated beautifully, as my pictures do a poor job of capturing.







Barnard Castle
Little remains of Barnard Castle, but it is a nice day out.

 
 


Bolsover Castle
Bolsover is nice.

 

 


Conisbrough Castle
Mentioned in Ivanhoe (review here), Conisbrough's keep is interesting and unique.


 


Harewood Castle
On the grounds of Harewood House, Harewood Castle is opened to public touring only a few times a year.  It's small, but a pleasant experience.


 
 


Helmsley Castle
I probably should have covered this in the North York Moors post.

 


Lindisfarne Castle
Very close to Bamburgh, Lindisfarne Castle (on Holy Island) is a great place to visit.

 


Pontefract Castle
Almost nothing is left of Pontefract, which makes me sad.  The painting that follows my photos (done in mid-1600s by Alexander Keirincx) captures what it used to be.




Raby Castle
A lovely castle on beautiful grounds.

 


Richmond Castle
I think I did cover this one already.  It's nice, but not spectacular.






Ripley Castle
Not a proper castle, but interesting.  The house tour is recommended.


 


Scarborough Castle
I've seen this only from afar, but it looks nice.



Spofforth Castle

The smallest of the bunch, Spofforth was once owned by the Percy family of Norman fame.

 

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment