Tuesday, September 9, 2014

On Audiobooks


With our move back home came a shift in how I get to work.  In the UK, I rode the bus, and was able to read on it.  I did almost half of my daily reading in that way, getting in 20-40 minutes of good reading time every day.  Now, back home, I get to work the way pretty much everybody does: I drive.  Reading while driving is ill-advised (not to mention difficult), but I didn't want my commute time to be wasted- so I turned to audiobooks.

I have an average commute time- about 30 minutes door-to-door.  It's not bad, but that's one hour every day that gets 'wasted.'  Not anymore- not for me.  In the last few months, I've listened to 6-7 audiobooks. It's turned a previously 'pointless' time into something useful, and I've really come to appreciate it.  As a side benefit, I also don't mind being stuck in traffic jams as much as I used to- at least I'm using the time well.  The local library has a good selection, which I suspect will keep me happily- and freely- listening for years to come. 

This is obvious, but listening to a book is quite different than reading it.  Here are some things I've learned- tips, if you will- for those who want to try:

1) Choose genre wisely.  
Yes, this is always true, but audiobooks bring enhanced limitations on what you can easily do.  Since you're operating a vehicle while listening, you have to choose a book that does not require your attention at all times.  That may sound odd, so I'll give some examples of what has not worked well for me:
- mysteries.  True immersion in mystery tales are difficult when your attention can be called away frequently.  You may lose important details or plot points that diminish your enjoyment.
- extremely detailed history.  Dates, names, locations . . . it can all get easily lost.
- anything requiring frequent reference to footnotes or graphics . . . for obvious reasons.

On the other hand, the following types of titles have worked well:
- narrative history/historical fiction/biographies.  Works that focus on just a few people, for example, told in narrative fashion can be easy to follow.
- business/leadership books.  Often short and easy to follow, these can be ideal for the car ride- not to mention valuable for imparting ideas for work. 
- young adult fiction.  Easy to follow and entertaining, works in this genre are well worth it.

2) Length of work matters.
I listen for about one hour per day.  I've listened to books as short as 2 hours and as long as 11.  I've found the ideal length is about 5 hours.  I like to get through books in about a week, so longer audiobooks- which could take weeks or even a month- can lose me in the details. 

3) Delivery matters.
When you listen to an audiobook, you're not just getting the content- you're getting a presentation of the content.  The reader's voice, inflections, and overall delivery can dramatically affect your enjoyment and understanding of the presentation.  Some readers even adopt different voices for different characters (which can be good or bad).  Your personal tastes will be discovered by trial and error, so borrow a few works from the library; you'll soon see what I mean.

4) Trip matters.
I recommend listening on a well-familiar route (like a daily commute).  In a strange or new place, you're more likely to be focusing on the road and surroundings (which is good), and thus more likely to zone out for large periods of time.  Traffic, construction, and other things can cause similar lapses in attention- which again is necessary, but something to consider.

Conclusion
Audiobooks have turned my commute from a 'necessary evil' to time well spent.  They're not perfect, but a great complement to traditional reading.  If, like me, you spend a bit of time on the road every day, this may be for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment