Thursday, January 1, 2015

So Begins 2015



My goals for 2015 are reading, improving, reflecting, minimizing, and enjoying.  More on each below.

Reading

Big surprise, right?  Well, my goal for 2015 is to read only books I own, get from the library, or have given to me.  No buying books.  I own so many I've never read, and I need to 'read those down.'  In terms of quantity, I should be able to listen to 20 books commuting to work, and read 40 others, but it depends on a variety of factors, so no numbers this year.

Improving

Physically, I have a lot of improving to do.  My goal for 2014 was to lose 10 lbs.  Instead, I gained 10, and now stand at ~195 lbs.  I could blame this on a year in transition, but it comes down to lack of self-discipline.  My goal is to lose 15 lbs this year, and work out more.  In 2014, I did 98 weightlifting sessions, 51 runs for 104.6 miles, and 12 'other' (bike/yardwork) activities.  In 2015, I hope to do 120 weightlifting sessions and 120 runs for 250 miles.  I also hope to stretch more frequently; I hope a consistent stretching routine will help heal the nagging pain in my lower back and calf muscles- injuries that have lasted almost a year, have lessened my running, and need to be addressed.

Part of losing weight is eating better.  To that end, my vow is to have no store-bought candy or sweets for this year.  I can have home-made goodies, but that's it in the sugar department.

Spiritually, I'm a wreck, too.  I need to focus more on the Lord, which means consistent, quality, daily time in prayer and Scripture (among other things).  I also need to have a family devotional time- something we've never done (to my shame).

Reflecting

I've spent the last seven years consuming.  Trips, books, stuff- the list goes on.  One reason I have a blog is to reflect, and so I hope to continue that in 2015.  Oddly, reflecting helps me with my next goal- minimizing- because part of the reason I horde is to remember.  Well, I can remember in cyberspace, without having the physical stuff to go along with it.  So, as I minimize, I'll post reflections.

Minimizing

This was a goal for 2014, too.  I actually did a fair amount of minimizing last year, but that went hand-in-hand with purchases, so my net reduction wasn't that good.  This year I want to ramp it up.  I've realized that I just don't need- or use- nearly as much as I have, and so there's no point in keeping it.  I posted here on some principles I need to remember, and I hope to have them in mind as I go through my things.  I hope to significantly reduce the number of books, movies, legos, games, clothing, and toys I own in 2015.  My goal is to sell $1,000 worth of things, and buy nothing with my own money (so giftcards/etc. are okay).

Enjoying

This sounds like an odd goal, perhaps, but we've struggled re-adjusting to America after coming out of our "7-year high" in Europe. Overseas, we enjoyed new cultures, foods, and sights, and made good use of the time, knowing that it wouldn't last forever.  Back home, we enjoy many things, but find ourselves wistfully looking back on our adventures and thinking "it's over."  What a poor mindset!  Life is an adventure- wherever you are.  Our time back home seems unlimited, but isn't- and we have to remember that.  So, may we treat our time here in Maryland like we treated it overseas- enjoying the cultures, foods, and sights to be found here, and knowing that it is only temporary.


No comments:

Post a Comment