Friday, January 2, 2015

Ghost Rider Ultimate Collection (Various)


I'm a sucker for Ghost Rider.  I enjoy the concept of such a hero, and can't help but love a flaming skeleton on a motorcycle.  I had watched the two movies (reviewed here and here) and was underwhelmed; this was my first venture into the comics.

Ghost Rider: Ultimate Collection is the first 19 issues of the Ghost Rider series.  In it, we find Johnny Blaze in Hell, trying to escape to Earth.  He does so, only to inadvertently bring Satan with him, and the Prince of Lies breaks into 666 pieces- and infiltrates the same number of humans- upon arrival.  Now, Ghostie must hunt down and destroy all pieces to rid the Earth of Satan's presence.  His quest to do so gets harder, however, as each annihilation makes the remaining components stronger.  Can he overcome in the end?

As I said, I'm a sucker for the concept of a Ghost Rider, but I've always been disappointed with the execution.  The story here is pretty bad, not well developed, confusing at times, and features breathtakingly poor theology.  The art can be good, and lots of action is there, but it's not enough.  I once asked someone to recommend a good Ghost Rider story.  His response: "one has yet to be made."  I'm beginning to agree with him.

Rating: C-

No comments:

Post a Comment