Friday, March 10, 2017

The Sandman Volume 1: Preludes & Nocturnes (Neil Gaiman)


Morpheus, the King of Dreams, is unexpectedly called out of his realm by human sorcery.  Imprisoned for decades, he patiently waits for the right moment.  When it arrives, he is free . . . but his possessions have been taken.  He doggedly sets out to recover them- and with them, his strength.  Can he prevail?  And how will humanity suffer in the dreamworld during the process?

I've been intrigued by the Sandman character for years, and I enjoy the occasional Neil Gaiman story.  His 12-volume Sandman series is highly regarded . . . unfortunately, this first volume was a bit too confusing, weird and/or creepy for me.  Perhaps that's to be expected- an entity who operates in the dream world is bound to produce odd, disconnected stories.  But it also featured occult elements (and a journey into Hell), which I personally don't like.  There were some interesting concepts and intriguing elements, so it was okay overall, but I don't think I'll be reading more of the series.

Rating: B

No comments:

Post a Comment