Friday, August 18, 2017

Still Too Much

legos sorted; image from here
I haven't blogged as much this month as I'd like, because I've been spending a good chunk of time sorting stuff (specifically, legos and collectible card games).  It's reminded me that I still have too much, plain and simple.

I've blogged about materialism several times . . . I won't bother recounting that here.  I'll say only this: who owns whom?  Do I own my things, or do they own me?  A look at the past few weeks would indicate the latter.  How many evenings and hours have I spent trying to get things in order?  I don't want to know the answer.  Though I believe I've made great strides in reducing my things over the past three years, it's clear I still have way too much.  A part of ownership is storage, and (when things get unmanageable) sorting can dominate a life.  It gets worse with children.  How much time do my wife and I spend putting away their things?

This situation has inspired us to start another reduction effort.  It should be easier than last time . . . and paring down is a routine we should incorporate into our lives.  Join us if you like- take on that closet that you've been meaning to get to for years, or that garage, or that attic.  The less you have, the better you'll feel.
“Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.” - Luke 12:15

No comments:

Post a Comment