Monday, January 1, 2018

So Begins 2018


2018- another year, another fresh start!  This post captures my hopes for the year.

Use it or lose it
I want 2018 to focus on the 'use it or lose it mindset' for games and movies (as books are now under control).

Personal Spending  & Budgeting
The personal spending goal remains the same: spend only what I receive as gift money on entertainment-type items (like books, movies, games, etc).

On budgeting, we have yet to develop an effective tracking/budgeting system.  That needs to change.  And, where possible, I want to support small businesses and buy from them before the bigger chains.

Fitness
I was mostly happy with my 2017 workout totals, given the realities of young children.  So here's the 2018 goal: 80 runs for 240 miles, 120 gym workouts, consistent stretching/yoga

Along with this is weight loss: dropping 5 lbs last year, I want to lose 10 more in 2018.

Reading
I plan to read 40 books this year, with a focus on:
- books I own but haven't read yet (that's only 5) or haven't read in 10+ years (to see if they're worth keeping)
- the American Wild West (an odd fancy I've had for months now)
- classic literature (those works we read in high school that I've long since forgotten)
- board game design

Board Games
I need to play all the games I own, but my main goal for 2018 is designing a board game.  I didn't say publish, mind you- but I'd like a working prototype, well play-tested, by year's end.

Slow Down & Focus
This may be impossible . . . but our culture is so fast-paced and 'scatter-brained.'  We all tend to do too much, and stretch too thin, with predictable results.   This year, I hope to take it a bit slower- focus on bettering a few friendships, do things (like designing a game) that take time and patience, and deliberately rest more.  I think the next goal will help in this area.

Screen Time
Here's a big one: I want to do away with 'small' screens (my iPod Touch) this year.  I use it to play games (su doku, solitaire, board game apps), and it's such a distraction and time waster.  It's deceiving- most things take only five minutes- but do it many times a day, and it adds up.  So no small screens this year, and I want to closely regulate big screen time, too- for the whole family.  Though my next goal is at odds with this . . .

Movies
There are so many classics- from every era- that I have not seen.  I'd like to change that in 2018, within reasonable limits (see prior goal).  A tentative number is 24 movies- two per month.

Spiritual
I need to be in a better daily routine for both prayer and scripture.  I also need to get back into daily devotionals with the family.

Parenting
Not sure how best to do this, but being more patient/gentle with the children, and giving them more attention, is on the docket.

Conclusion
Here's to success in 2018!

No comments:

Post a Comment