Sunday, April 22, 2018

A Familiar Pattern

The 4 Phases of Collecting

It just happened- I hit board game 'saturation.'  Every hobby I've ever had that involves purchasing, collecting, or acquisition* goes through a cycle- one I've only recently realized.  I break it into 4 phases:
1. Learning/Expansion
2. Saturation
3. Filtering
4. Appropriate Boundaries

In Phase 1, I acquire and pursue an interest, learning about it and growing a collection.  This phase is marked by (at times) rapid accumulation, often after little or no prior vetting, with a thirst for more.  I explore the options and sample as much as I can.

In Phase 2, I saturate.  I've explored enough of the space to understand what I like (and don't), and what I use (or won't).  My desire to acquire more diminishes markedly.

In Phase 3, I filter my existing collection based on what I learned in phase 2, selling or donating things as appropriate.  Such downsizing can take a tremendous amount of time.

In Phase 4, I reach 'appropriate boundaries'- I have a collection that doesn't vary much in size, and consists only of things I truly enjoy and use.  I set limits and acquire/reduce much less frequently, and much more intentionally (after much thought and review). 

Running through the phases using board games as an example:
- Phase 1: I acquired games based on one-time play, a good review, or a good price.  I purchased based on perceived interest, and owned more games than I play.  I bought games I thought were decent, but didn't love.  My collection swelled from ~35 games to ~65 in a year or two.
- Phase 2: I hit a point where I can know at a glance (or with minor research) whether or not most games are for me.  I realized a portion of my collection will rarely (if ever) get played.
- Phase 3: [current] I'm whittling down the collection, getting rid of games I don't expect to use.  In the case of collectible games, I do this at the individual card or miniature level (this is a big time investment).
- Phase 4: I will maintain a healthier number (~40) of games, my collection varying only mildly as new releases, changing tastes, and new seasons of life alter what I use.

Perhaps everyone goes through something like this (or maybe it's just me).  Either way, it's important to analyze your own habits to identify the good and weed out the bad.  Looking at this pattern, my goal: be more judicious in phase 1.  Discernment there would help cut out phases 2 and 3, and help save money, space, and time.

I'm not there yet, but in the right direction . . . I hope.

*for me: CDs, books, movies, legos, games 

No comments:

Post a Comment