Thursday, April 16, 2020

Der Rauber Hotzenplotz (Otfried Preussler)


The robber Hotzenplotz has taken grandmother's coffee grinder.  When the law proves powerless to assist, Kasperl and Seppel devise a plan to catch the thief.  But Hotzenplotz is craftier than the boys suspect, and soon the two find themselves in hot water- one serving the robber, one a wizard.  Can they escape, bring the robber to justice, and (most importantly) get back grandma's coffee grinder?

This German children's classic (it was written in 1962) was outstanding . . . I thoroughly enjoyed it.  As I read it 'auf Deutsch,' I'm sure I missed some things, but I understood enough.  The tale was simple but had humor, adventure, twists, and suspense.  I highly recommend it, and want to read some of his others- though perhaps in English.

Rating: A

No comments:

Post a Comment