Thursday, July 23, 2020

Orthodoxy (G.K. Chesterton)


Orthodoxy is a follow-up volume to Heretics. In the latter, G.K. Chesterton looked at the prevailing worldviews/philosophies of his day and why they are wrong; in the former, he put forward what he believed was right and why.  Or, rather, how he came to believe in the Christian faith.  At a high level, he discusses things like original sin, optimism vs pessimism, the beauty of the world (and art/story in it), and more.

I listened to the audiobook; I wish I had read it instead, so I could highlight numerous passages.  This is a work of (primarily) apologetics, though it seems somewhat autobiographical as well.  Chesterton has such a way with words- whether I agree or disagree with his statements, I marvel as his turns of phrase, simple but profound statements, and use of paradox. It's always fun to read his books, even if I don't always track what he's saying (he wrote over 100 years ago and can reference people or movements no longer familiar to most modern readers).  Recommended.

Rating: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment