Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Tuck Everlasting (Natalie Babbitt)


The Tuck family has a problem- they can neither age nor die after drinking from an unknowingly-magical spring in the middle of a wood. In time, their peculiarity is noticed, and they're forced to live a life of seclusion and transcience to avoid scrutiny. But in time, all secrets are revealed . . . and when Winnie Foster, an over-protected local girl, overhears their secret while out for a walk, everyone's life is about to change. Is eternal life in this world worth it? 

This is a children's literature classic that I'd never read, so I availed myself of the opportunity after my daughter finished it for school. I'm glad I did- I really liked it. Exploring the downside of eternal life (when all around you age and die) is worthy of contemplation. The two themes here are true satisfaction and purpose.

For satisfaction, we all have desires and feel like we're missing something. "Nothing ever seems interesting when it belongs to you- only when it doesn't." So we seek things, power, status, friendships, etc., in a quest to fit in or seek satisfaction. And we tend to avoid the aspects we don't like. But the Tuck family, after living for over 100 years without aging, realizes that "You can't pick out the pieces you like and leave the rest. Being part of the whole thing, that's the blessing." 

For purpose, Winnie Foster shares the Tuck family's desire to find hers. "I'm not exactly sure what I'd do, you know, but something interesting- something that's all mine. Something that would make some kind of difference in the world." Miles Tuck agrees: 
"Someday," said Miles, "I'll find a way to do something important." . . . "The way I see it," Miles went on, "it's no good hiding yourself away, like Pa and lots of other people. And it's no good just thinking of your own pleasure, either. People got to do something useful if they're going to take up space in the world."
Winnie finds her purpose in helping the Tucks, and they find theirs by protecting others from the knowledge of the well. Overall, this is a tale well told.

Rating: A

No comments:

Post a Comment