Friday, January 22, 2021

All Creatures Great and Small (Season 1)

 

All Creatures Great & Small is the 2020 television series based on the book of the same name. Here, new vet James Herriott moves to the Yorkshire Dales and becomes an apprentice to Siegfried Farnon. Herriott adjusts to life in Skeldale house, where they're kept well by the housekeeper, Mrs. Hall, and on their toes by Siegfried's brother, Tristan.

This was a mixed bag. I loved the book (and those that followed); this series made sweeping changes to the narrative. Overall, it focused less on animals and was more dramatic than the books- I felt echoes of Downton Abbey or The Crown. That annoyed me. Still, the production quality was good, characters amusing, and scenery magnificent. Season 1 had just six episodes; I wish there had been more, to better flesh out the characters and Dales life. I do miss living in those Yorkshire Dales.

Rating: B-

No comments:

Post a Comment