Sunday, May 16, 2021

GRL: Reflections


One final post on my German Reading List, the multi-year effort to 'get' Germany- to understand her history, literature, language, and culture (here is the complete list, highlights, omissions). Today, I reflect on the experience, as I did for my British Reading List.

Did it work? Do I know 'get' Germany? Yes and no. Certainly, I understand more now then I did before this list. And as I have lived here four years previously, it's telling that my reading list helped more than my prior life here (where I invested less in language and reading). Reading is an important and valuable pursuit, giving one insight much faster than you could otherwise obtain. That said, it's abundantly clear that I'm not a native here, and will never be. 

Here are some lessons I learned from, or reflections I have on, this reading list:

1) Study the language
I studied German in high school, and made sporadic attempts when I lived here last time. This time, I was more focused and disciplined in the pursuit. It made a difference. I didn't mention this in my GRL, but I read a handful of books in German, and that was valuable. Knowing the language heightens your experience and opportunities. I wanted to test at the B2 level here, but won't get the opportunity before I fly home. I'm hoping to take a similar fluency test in the USA as a sort of 'keepsake' for my efforts, and then move on to learn another language (French or Spanish are on my mind). 

2) Learn the history
I had studied the Reformation and World Wars in some detail before living here, but lacked almost all other knowledge about German history. This time, I learned quite a bit about the Holy Roman Empire, Thirty Years War, the Napoleonic era, Prussia, and German Empire. It was valuable- even events centuries old can leave their imprint on an area. 

3) Enjoy the talent
A reading list always introduces me to authors I wouldn't have heard of or read otherwise. And there are many talented writers out there. This time around, I became enamored with German fantasy. I'd like to explore it more in the future. There's so much out there, if we just take the trouble to look.

4) Study the mindset
The literature and history of the people gives insight into their mindset- their prevailing attitudes that drive their view on and reactions toward life. This time around, the literature in particular around the turn of the twentieth century gives us insight into the horrors that would dominate the first half of it: two world wars. You see a combination of both ultra-nationalism and hopelessness that created an aggressive mindset. May we learn from the past.

I think that's it. I'll conclude with this: pick a topic that interests you and create a reading list for it today. You'll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment