Thursday, June 3, 2021

TLG: Other Foods

Continuing The Long Goodbye series, today I'll conclude my look at food. I've done sweets and grains so far; this post covers everything else.

Meat & Eggs
Germans love their meat- especially pig products. I like it, too- particularly the schnitzel (Jägerschnitzel mit Spätzle or Rahmschnitzel) and various styles of wursts (Weißwurst, currywurst, and Nürnberger Bratwurst). But the worst thing about wursts (nyuk nyuk), or German meats in general, is salt content- I suspect I ingest a week's worth in a meal. I've learned, as a result, to complement any such dish by downing several liters of water.


For eggs, I really like the colored hard-boiled eggs they have for sale everywhere (and not just during Easter). It's a great snack and something we should definitely make happen in the States.

Sauces
Germans put dill in everything. And I love it, for some reason. Particularly their "American Burger Sauce" (which I've never seen in America, but imagine it's akin to what we put on Big Macs) or their Honig Senf Dill. I'll also miss their breakfast mustard (served with weißwurst) and their "Pommes Frites Sauce" (basically mayonnaise) they insist on eating with fries. It's like mayo, but somehow different. Speaking of fries . . .


Salty Foods
We love the fries in Germany, but especially in Belgium- which is known for their fries more than any other European country. It's common to see restaurants or stands focusing on the product. You know it's good when they were encouraged to eat them twice per week last year.

For other salty snacks, I didn't really take to German potato chips (they had some weird flavors), but I became hooked on Lidl's Alesto brand Cruspies (peanuts covered in a wheat coating with pepper flavor) and Erdnuss-Mais Mix (peanuts and fried corn with spices).

Fruits & Veg
Not much to say here- I'm focusing on foods or preparation of foods that we won't get in the USA, and we have mostly the same fruits and vegetables (though I do see things in the supermarket that I cannot identify). I will miss currants- the Germans feature them, and they're much more rare in the States. And Spargel (white asparagus) is a fun seasonal treat. The other things we enjoy- strawberry season, cherry season, etc.- are things we have at home.


I think that wraps up food. Next up: drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment