Wednesday, December 22, 2021

On Arguments

Still from Monty Python's Argument Clinic Sketch

Each year, I like to pick a focus area or two to hone my readings. This year, in addition to finishing my German Reading List, I wanted to learn more about arguments. I read four books on the topic. From best to worst, they are:


Attacking Faulty Reasoning by Edward Damer is another recommended work I have not yet read.

Though my brief survey wasn't comprehensive enough to satisfy me, it was a good introduction to the topic and reminder of its importance. We don't like arguing in America, but I think it's (partly) because we argue so poorly and with wrong intent- and the books and articles out there with titles like "How to Win an Argument" highlight the problem. The goal or argument should not be to win- it should be to defend your stance on a topic and probe your opponents' positions. Doing so well and thoughtfully should improve both parties- it may not lead to agreement, but it can expose weaknesses that bear further investigation,  encourage reconsideration, and at the very least grant empathy and understanding with those who hold different views. "I don't agree with you, but I understand why you think the way you do" is not a bad statement. Yet arguments- at least in politics and on social media- often become mud-slinging contests where both parties often stoop to poor practices (like strawman arguments and cheap shots) for the sake of scoring points before retreating to their respective echo chambers. Combat that in yourself (it's in our nature to be this way) through study of arguments, self-analysis and self-critique, and thoughtful engagement in debates with others interested in true argument. And do it in person, where and when it's responsible to do to. Debate in the digital age is tough.

No comments:

Post a Comment