Wednesday, December 29, 2021

The Gathering Storm (Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson)


The Wheel of Time saga continues! Shortly after Knife of Dreams . . .

Perrin, finally reunited with Faile, ponders how to help the refugees from the recent battle, all while feeling the pull to be with Rand.
Mat is with his band in the mountains looking for a way to get to Caemlyn, also feeling the pull.
Egwene is still imprisoned in the Tower, where shocking and horrifying events unfold.
Rand tries to hunt the Forsaken, pacify the Seanchan, and unite the land. But to be victorious, it appears he must die . . .
Plans are made, plans are dashed. Hope remains, hope is gone. One thing is certain: time is short- the Last Battle is near.

Oh. My. Goodness. I've been largely frustrated with the last six books- the pacing was uneven and often sluggish. I got to the point where I just wanted it to end; then came this book. The pacing picks up a good deal, there's suspense, old storylines (seemingly abandoned volumes ago) come back, and things are driving towards a gripping conclusion. For the first time since book three, I couldn't put this down. And . . . I cared. When I picked it up, I wasn't thrilled that this book was 1,070 pages, but they flew by. I'm a fan again.

It bears mentioning that Robert Jordan passed away after the prior book, but made notes for the finale and hand-picked Brandon Sanderson to conclude it for him. It was to be one book, but Sanderson realized the remaining content couldn't be handled in one, so he ended up writing three. It seems a good decision so far- there was no padding in this volume at all- and I can't wait for the next two. Sanderson is a different writer than Jordan, but I felt he largely captured the characters well, and did an amazing job driving the story forward at an appropriate pace and bringing in threads long forgotten. I was pleasantly surprised.

Rating: A

No comments:

Post a Comment