Sunday, February 6, 2022

Ballcaps

I have done many posts concerning materialism over the years, and my struggles with the desire to own more than is healthy. It helps me to post about such things to 'enjoy them from afar.' My most recent struggle is baseball caps, or 'ballcaps.'

I've always enjoyed ballcaps, but they've become increasingly important as I go bald. Pale-complected balding men should wear hats outside. For sustained sun exposure, I defer to a wide-brimmed hat, but for typical days, the ballcap works just fine.

I don't normally pay much attention to fashion, but I am oddly drawn to make sure the ballcap I'm wearing matches my outfit. As such, I own a handful today in different colors. Generally, I defer to caps that depict logos from my favorite teams (Eagles, Penn State, Orioles, Flames, Spurs). But sometimes I choose a cap based on logo or color- I own a Flyers hat, for example, because it is bright orange and good for visibility in my treks through the local forests. 

At this point, I own enough hats. I have one for each favorite team except the Spurs (I'd like one, but I'm waiting for one with a design I like). But there are a number of other hats that I have my eye on, and I post about them here to enjoy them without owning them. Here are a few, organized by league:

Minor League Baseball
I like Teddy Roosevelt and S'mores, and believe it or not, there are minor league teams with these as mascots. The Frisco Roughriders and Rocky Mountain Vibes:
There are other amusing Minor League logos, to include a strip of bacon. My favorite hat brand, 47, has a number for sale on their website

Major League Baseball
Since (to my knowledge) the MLB is where the ballcap style originated, I enjoy many MLB caps. (I blogged about some favorite logos here.) In addition to what I posted there, there are others I enjoy. Like the San Diego Padres (I like their brown & yellow color scheme), the Milwaukee Brewers (logo is classic; I have a version with a yellow front panel that I love), the Detroit Tigers (classic cap- too bad they're in Detroit), and an old version of the Seattle Mariners (I've never once seen them wear this, but the trident looks cool).
47 Brand has a ton of variant MLB caps, like their Cooperstown collection.

National Basketball Association
I'm still searching for that 'perfect' Spurs cap, but I like other NBA teams, too. I enjoy logos that combine concepts- the Philadelphia 76ers cap, for example, is a great nod to both the team and our country. The Phoenix Suns hat looks like an advertisement for basketball in general, and it's purple to boot. The Milwaukee Bucks cap appears suited for hunters. The Spurs cap below is okay but still not what I'm looking for. Finally, The Utah Jazz is fun as it combines music with sport.
National Football League
I own three Eagles hats. I don't need more. But there are some fun NFL logos and colors, especially when you explore the legacy logos on 47's website. The old logos for the Buccaneers, Oilers [now the Titans], and Dolphins certainly were interesting. Finally, I once saw a "FD NY PD" hat, with the NY in the style of the New York Giants, shortly after 9/11. I couldn't find a picture of a ballcap with that on it, but saw a beanie with the same concept. That was a nice nod to the police and firefighters.

Military
I'll conclude with a cap based on the US military WWII roundel:
Nice! 

There are many cool hats out there, but I have only one head, so I don't need them all. It's fun to enjoy them from afar.

No comments:

Post a Comment